The Inaugural AFL Queensland Unity Cup will take place at Leyshon Park Yeronga this Saturday November 16.
The Unity Cup will feature two Indigenous teams, the North Queensland KickStart and South East Queensland KickStart teams, and two All Nations teams; one that has been selected from across the state featuring players from Polynesian, African, Asian, European and Middle Eastern backgrounds and the other from Toowoomba’s Sudanese community.
The Unity Cup will engage participants from Indigenous and Multicultural backgrounds from across the state identified via school and community talent identification combines. AFL Queensland has conducted combines to more than 800 participants from diverse backgrounds to assemble the four squads.
The objectives of the Unity Cup are to:
– Provide an opportunity for people from diverse backgrounds to engage in AFL
– Select Queensland’s 2014 state Multicultural and Indigenous talent squad
– Celebrate cultural diversity
– Identify AFL talent
AFL Queensland CEO Michael Conlan said he was delighted to launch the program in Queensland.
“The Unity Cup provides an opportunity for people from diverse backgrounds to display their enormous talent and potentially be selected in the 2014 Queensland Indigenous KickStart and Multicultural All Nations squads for 2014 ” said Conlan.
“The Unity Cup also gives participants new to our game an opportunity to try AFL, and engage further with our game via AFL Queensland’s talent programs and community clubs”.
AFL Queensland Training and Administration Centre
Cansdale St, Yeronga,
– 10am – South East QLD (SEQ) KickStart v All Nations #1
– 10:40am – All Nations #2 v North Queensland ( NQ)_KickStart
– 11:20am – SEQ KickStart v NQ KickStart
– 12pm – All Nations #1 v All nations #2
– 12:40pm – All Nations #1 v INQ KickStart
– 1:20pm – SEQ KickStart v All Nations #2