3 New coaching appointments complete the Scorpions line-up for 2012
Former Brisbane Bears player, Ray Windsor, has been appointed Senior Coach of the U18 Queensland Scorpions.
Two new Assistant Coaches have also been named for 2012. Morningside Premiership player, David Lillico (Midfield Coach) and ex-Western Magpies player and coach, Paul Grentell (Forwards Coach), will join Defence Coach, Paddy Garner, to form a well credentialed coaching line-up.
The new role seems a natural progression for Windsor, who was Young Scorpions Assistant Coach in 2008/2009 before taking over the senior role in 2010. His coaching efforts were rewarded this year when the team took out the 2011 National Championships.
Windsor, himself a former Larke Medal winner for best Under 18 National Championships Player, said he was thrilled with the appointment.
“I couldn’t be more pleased,” said Windsor.
“We’ve got a competitive and hardworking player group and a very good coaching staff which, hopefully, the 2012 results will reflect. “
While Windsor is keen for success on field, he says it’s seeing players develop that gives him the greatest joy.
“What I’m most looking forward to is playing a hand in improving the kids from the start of the program, to the finish of the program,” he said.
“It’s really satisfying to see the improvement levels in these boys across the whole spectrum – from skills right through to maturity.
“For me, that’s the most exciting part – seeing someone go from being average to being great. “I’m really looking forward to provide my experiences to these guys to help make sure they get to the highest level they can.”
QUEENSLAND SCORPIONS – NEW COACH PROFILES
Ray Windsor – Senior Coach
· Queensland state representative player: U 16 and U18.
· 1989 Larke Medal winner – best player, Division 1 – National U18 Championships.
· Brisbane Bears player
· West Brisbane premiership player
· Coach – Western Taipans U16 and U18
· Assistant Coach – Queensland Young Scorpions 2008/09
· Senior Coach – Queensland Young Scorpions 2010/11 (National Championships title 2011)
David Lillico – Assistant Coach, Midfield
· State U18 Captain
· U18 All-Australian player
· 200+ games player – Morningside FC
· 4 Time Morningside premiership player 2003/04/09/10
· Morningside FC Captain
· Senior Queensland State Team Captain.
Paul Grentell – Assistant Coach, Forwards
· QAFL Western Magpies – player and coach, 2007-2010
· QAFL Western Magpies – premiership coach 2008
· 2005 QAFL Coach Of The Year
· Queensland Country Stockman Assistant Coach 2008/10/12
· Assistant Coach – QLD U16 Young Scorpions 2011
(National U16 Division 2 winners)