Pineapple Hotel Cup Round 2 Reviews

The Highlight of round 2 was the Friday night game that saw Mayne almost cause an upset against the powerful Wilston Grange. Other winners were Noosa, Western Magpies, PBC and Coolangatta.

PALM Beach-Currumbin had to dig deep to stave off a spirited fightback by Surfers Paradise in their Gold Coast derby at Sir Bruce Small Park on Saturday.

Looking set to keep the Demon at bay after leading by 31 points at three-quarter time, the Lions suddenly stopped to a walk and had little left at full-time with their noses in front by 15.18 (98) to 14.7 (91).

“We just stopped running,” a relieved PBC coach Daryn Cresswell said, acknowledging the effort of the home side to get back into the contest.

Cresswell had been named in the PBC lineup, but did not make his comeback (at the age of 40) as had been expected.

Surfers kicked the first four goals of the fourth term through Jacob Clarke, Korey Fulton, Dane Grant and Mitch Ryan and were only six points down with three minutes to go.

But, as they had done all through the entertaining match, PBC were able to steady and respond on the scoreboard when it mattered most.

Rover Jake Ryan – head swathed in bandages after an early head-knock – starred for Surfers, with half-back Ryan Dienjes, forward Dan Green and ruckman Nick Barling all solid contributors.

PBC’s best was half-back flanker Angus Munroe, along with fellow club junior products David Manning and Jesse Derrick, as well as Sydney recruit Mick Atkinson.

Down at Len Peak Oval, Coolangatta staged a fourth-quarter revival to snatch the points in their south Coast derby against Coolangatta.

Burleigh led by three points at quarter-time;  seven points at half-time and by what should have been a match-winning 19 points at the final break.

But the Bombers had used up all their petrol tickets, it seemed, because they managed a mere behind to Coolangatta’s 6.6 and lost 12.10 (82) to 10.12 (72).

All this, and with the Blues having only one player left on the bench following the send-offs of John Begue and Justin White before half-time.

“We just dug deep,” explained Blues coach Neil McKay, who had great service from two of his Papua New Guineans Collins Slim (five goals) and Stanis Susave, along with ruckman Ryan McCabe and Jack Ryan.

Friday night under lights, Mayne was faced with the daunting task of confronting the strong Wilston Grange outfit on their home turf. Based on last season’s form this game looked like a mere formality for the Gorillas, but appearances can be deceptive.

From the first bounce the Tigers show they had found an extra yard, were harder at the ball and were playing to a plan. By the main break they had carved out a 20 point lead and were look capable of win their second in a row.

Gorilla Coach David Martin was full of praise for Mayne, “I think they had been under-rated during the pre-season, they attacked the ball hard and with plenty of purpose,” he said.

“We started getting more of the ball after half time with Matty Stevens imposing himself on the game we went into our forward line with more accuracy”

The game was on the line at 3 qtr time with just 1 point separating the sides, but 4 goals 2 to 2 goals 4 in the last term saw the Gorillas get out of jail in the end.

Martin said “I believe the Tigers are definite finals material and that the Gorillas were probably lucky to win in the end.  We have a new side and it will take 6 to 7 week before we are at our best.”

Tigers Coach Mitch Ferguson attributes the change in attitude by the playing group as the main reason for their improved form.

“We have picked up a couple of experienced players with bigger bodies and it makes a lot of difference. We don’t mind being the underdogs,” he said.

“The difference between the two sides on the weekend was when they had to kick a goal they did, we missed a couple we should have kicked and that was the difference in the end,” Ferguson added.

All in all, it was a very entertaining game which kept the big Friday night crowd on their feet till the end, the Gorillas running out winners 11.11 (77) to Tigers 9.14 (68) .

The local derby on the Sunshine coast was virtually over by qtr time with Noosa banging on 10 goals to 2 in the open stanza to win 28.4 (152) to 10.12 (68)

Noosa coach Wayne Fletcher said, “regardless of where we are on the ladder we are always switched on for a game against Maroochydore, local pride is at stake.

“We got the jump on them early and although they came back in the 2nd and 3rd qtr were able to take control again”

The Tigers look like they will be a big threat again this year with at least 18 of last year’s grand final side still on the track.

“We lost 2 of the best players in the competition in Luke Brauer and Luke Matthews but that has opened up the way for players like Nathan Winter and Gary Wallace to step up,” said Fletcher

Roos Coach Roger Delany was philosophical about the loss saying “we have no excuses but ours is a very young side and Noosa’s bigger bodies were just a bit overwhelming.

“I saw a number of pluses for us, in the washout I thought they won 2 ½ qtrs and we won 1 ½ but in their winning qtrs they kicked 20 goals to our 7.

“Compared to last year we are better in a number of areas, we will improve as the player gain more experience.”

 Sandgate hosted the Western Magpies at Lemke Rd and for the second week in a row were on the wrong end of 90 point plus defeat.

Coach Ben Long wasn’t making excuses when he said “ we’ve lost an enormous amount of experience and talent since last year, but this has given the chance to a number of our younger players to move up to Senior football.

“It will take time but they are a fantastic young group so there is light at the end of the tunnel”

Magpies Coach Peter McLennan was happy with the way his team stuck to the game plan.

“The ground at Sandgate is very wide so we instructed players to use the central corridor at all cost, they ran the football well and were very intense at all contests,” he said.

The Magpies have a balanced side with youth and experience and were well served by Peter  Kilroy, Reid  Dobson, Chris  Judson and  Brenton Saunders, for the Hawks Brendan Forbes, Aden Rutledge, Matthew  Nuss and Mark Leddy were consistent performers.

The final score was Magpies 25.11 (161) to The Hawks 9.12 (66)

Our Supporters