Cats tame Tigers in QAFL victory


Broadbeach reclaimed their position in the QAFL top two, with an 11-point win over Labrador.

The Cats had the ascendency for much of the day, in their first win over a fellow finals contender, 14.7 (91) – 12.8 (98), something which coach, Wayne Petterd, said was crucial.

“I think it shows we do belong,” he said.

“We look good when we stay composed and we don’t panic.

“Somehow, our ebbs and flows keep opposition sides in the game, though with poor decision making.”

Taking a three-goal lead into half-time the Cat were under the pump as Labrador piled on three goals to start the third term.

In a 10-goal quarter, neither team missed a shot, but it was the three-goal performance of James Royes, who finished with four for the day, that proved a turning point for the Cats.

Broadbeach’s Liam Frawley was sensational running off half-back, while Nick Scott, Adam McKenzie and Taylor Haley were all pivotal.

Labrador captain Ryan Davey was the best for his side once again, in his 50th match, but the Broadbeach midfield won the battle overall.

In a match marred by injury, Broadbeach losing Nathan Manczal (ankle), Eddie Burton (foot) and Brandon Chadwick (concussion) and Labrador losing Matt Daniel (shoulder) in the first five minutes.

The loss of Daniel proved a major blow for the Tigers, who lacked a real focal point up forward.

Labrador coach, Steve Daniel, was visibly disappointed after a performance that he described as his side’s worst for the year.

“None of us are happy today,” he said.

“I queried the boys that seem to play really well against the bottom sides, but today against a good side they were found wanting.

With their injury list lengthening, Labrador’s young brigade are shouldering more responsibility, and 17 year-old pair, Dyson Budarick and Jesse Walton stood up against the Cats.

“We just can’t take a trick at the moment,” he said.

“We’ll just keep playing kids until we can get some guys back.”

See how this game unfolded here.


Mt Gravatt pulled off a sensational QAFL upset, with a 13-point win over Palm Beach.

The Vultures have built steadily into their season and on Saturday produced their best performance of the year, with the 14.12 (96)  -12.11 (83) win.

Leading all day, Mt Gravatt coach, Brad Pollock, said his side kept their heads under pressure, showing their improvement.

“We’re really starting to run the ball well with good composure,” he said.

“That was the best effort of the year for us.”

Fullback Mitch Hart held Palm Beach spearhead Bryce Perry-Bolt to his first goalless game of 2014, a vital win for the Vultures.

“Mitch was outstanding,” he said.

“He’s only had three goals kicked on him in the last three weeks, and that record speaks for itself.”

Mt Gravatt centre half-back, Nick Tronc, suffered an ankle injury in the match, in a rare low point for the visitors.

The performance was a far cry from the teams’ pre-season match up, which Palm Beach won convincingly.

Palm Beach missed a handful of key players, including late withdrawal Brock Askey, and that showed, but Lions coach, Daryn Cresswell was not leaning on the absences as a reason for the loss.

“We were outplayed and outworked,” he said.

“We unfortunately had four or five of our best players out but there are no excuses.”

2013 premiership player, Matt Carroll, came out of retirement to make a solid cameo for the Lions, one of their best.

Palm Beach lost key defender Matt Dillon to a cork injury partway through thr third quarter, but Cresswell is hopeful the former Magpie will be ready for next week.


Surfers Paradise coach, Beau Zorko, says his side needs to fire for all four quarters, despite notching a win over Sandgate yesterday.

In their fourth win of the season, the Demons defeated the Hawks 10.12 (72) – 6.11 (47), but Zorko said they lacked consistency.

“When we used the ball well, we looked good and they’re the positions we want to build from,” he said.

“That’s got to turn into consistency, though, not just picking and choosing (when to do that).

“The good sides are in the positions they’re in because they don’t pick and choose and that’s the bunny we’re chasing.”

Southport-listed Nathan Kenny was the standout for the Demons, while Dan Green and Tayler Rolfe were also impressive.

Part of the reason for their lapses was the pressure put on by Sandgate, who had to suffer another heartbreaking loss despite competing well.

Winning the contested possession count, Sandgate made the Demons work but Hawks coach, Rob Dickfos, lamented the missed opportunities of his side, which saw them with a 0.6 ledger at quarter-time.

“We were really happy, but we’re just not finishing our work,” he said.

“We missed goals we should have kicked and had that 0.6 been 4.2, all of a sudden we’re three goals up and it’s a different story.”

In another blow to the side, Sandgate lost Liam Rutledge and Shane Rogerson and Jociah Mace to injury in the match, leaving them with just the one rotation in the second half.

Dickfos was pleased with the fight his side showed, despite their limited interchanges in the latter half.

“That third quarter, when we had one on the bench, the boys really busted their backsides and worked really hard, but we just weren’t finishing.”


It was a host of lesser lights who led the way for Morningside, as the Panthers kept their undefeated start to the season, over the Western Magpies.

On a day when Paul Shelton, Kent Abey and Nathan Kinch were well held, it was the Panthers’ next generation that steered the team to a 25.21 (171) – 11.12 (78) win at Jack Esplen Oval.

Youngster, Daniel Daye, returned from a two-week absence to be the team’s best on ground, while Sam Faure scored four in his 100th game for the club.

Panthers coach, David Lake, said it was that brigade of emerging players that proved pivotal.

“We didn’t have Shelton and Kinch to start it all up and that’s what was exciting that those other blokes did that,” he said.

Debutant, AIS-AFL member and state U18 representative, Matt Hammelmann, didn’t miss a beat on debut, with four first-half goals, coming off injury.

“That kid’s in a world of his own,” Lake said.

“He understands the game and it was hand in glove stuff on the weekend.

“He was prepared to do all the things that we do, no question and he understood quickly.”

The Magpies were competitive in the first quarter, but coach Glenn Humphrey, said they simply didn’t do the hard yards.

“Our first and third quarters were okay when we did use the ball together and worked together,” he said.

“They were a lot more drilled and more precise in their use of the football was better than ours and they worked harder defensively.

Rising star, Adam Yusia Marcic, was the best for the Magpies on the day, while Hayden Thick on Abey, half-back Chris Hunt and midfielder Ben Jaenke-Cain were all consistent.


Wilston Grange snapped a five-game losing streak to defeat UQ 14.20 (104)  – 11.3 (69).

After more than a month without singing the song, any win probably would have done, but Trewhella said there were plenty more positives to take out of the game.

“It was the first time we were able to execute our zone defence and make it hard (for the opposition),” he said.

“With players coming in and out, it’s been hard to get consistency, but we’ve recently been able to train and practice like we want to play and the guys are really responding.

“That transcended into today, which was pleasing.”

In a game where both sides handed opportunities to teenagers, it was those of the next generation who shone.

Harris Andrews was the focal point for the Gorillas up forward, kicking five goals, and was locked in an enthralling battle with 17 year-old Dylan Adkins, in his first game for the Red Lions.

“That’s the best game I’ve seen him (Harris) play,” Trewhella said.

“He had a lot of opportunities and he worked really hard.”

Gorillas captain, Steve Brittain, was a late withdrawal ahead of the match with a hamstring injury.

Despite not picking up a win, the game was a vast improvement for UQ, who were convincingly beaten by the Gorillas in their most recent meetings.

Red Lions coach, Matt Stewart, said a disappointing third quarter was the difference.

“The game was there to be won,”he said.

“(In the third), we didn’t stick to our structures and didn’t take advantage of the wind.”

Redland rookie, Scott Miller, had a standout game for UQ in the midfield, continuing the dominance of the younger army on the day.

Consistent Red Lions performer, Sean Powyer, suffered a hamstring inury, while onballer, Jack Pershouse, rolled his ankle in the game.

Like the official QAFL Facebook page here.

Follow the QAFL on Twitter: @QAFLnews

Follow Beth on Twitter: @bethknewman

Our Supporters