Monday 21 February 2011
A major fundraiser to support the rebuilding of the Western Magpies/Sherwood Junior Football Club is being planned for 16 March.
All members of the south-east Queensland football community are being encouraged to buy tickets to the cocktail night at the Alchemy Restaurant on Wednesday 16 March.
The black tie affair will feature a number of football and sporting personalities including Brisbane Lions star Luke Power and a number of his teammates.
Tickets to the black tie affair cost $150, with all proceeds going towards rebuilding the club that was inundated with floodwaters last month.
In excess of 5000 families in the Magpies’ catchment area were affected and their lives have been significantly altered with loss of both livelihood and personal property/possessions.
Many of these families have a direct link to the football club, which was wiped out with damages to the playing surfaces, light towers, clubrooms, gymnasium and sporting club.
The damage included:
- Loss of football equipment including jerseys, footballs, gym gear, medical supplies, tackle bags/mats and merchandise- conservatively estimated at $20K to $25K.
- The gymnasium which was housed in an older building will have to be demolished.
- The social club lost all 46 poker machines valued anywhere between $150K and $300k.
- All furniture including dining tables and chairs, office desks and chairs, bar stools, poker machine chairs and outside tables and chairs worth approximately $40K were destroyed.
- All floor coverings, tiles and carpets had to be thrown out at a value of around $25k.
- The internal walls had to be knocked down and will cost around $15K to redo
- Bar stock worth around $5K..
All of this damage has been compounded through complete loss of revenue sources through not being able to trade at all.
A group of community-minded people who have children playing at junior level have arranged the major fundraising initiative.
For more information or to purchase tickets please contact Prue Quelch on 0403 067 892.