AFL Queensland has launched the AFL Queensland Diversity Advisory Board to assist the organisation in implementing diversity and inclusion strategies across the state.
The board will consist of 12 members with a range of backgrounds, experience and professional expertise and will be chaired by lawyer Jayde Geia, a member of the Legal Profession Reconciliation Network and alumnus of the Indigenous Legal Internship Program.
AFL Queensland Chief Executive Officer Dean Warren said the role of the board is to work closely with AFL Queensland’s diversity staff to provide ongoing guidance, support and expertise.
“The board will assist us developing our diversity strategy; with particular insight into recruiting diverse employees, engaging with diverse communities, educate the community about diversity, promoting our game whilst driving new initiatives to further engage these communities,” Warren said.
“In Queensland over twenty per cent of the population is born overseas and around 200 languages are spoken every day in Queensland homes and we believe it’s crucial that we are reflective of society.
“Footy has the power to bring neighbourhoods together and connect communities and people for different cultural backgrounds.”
AFL QUEENSLAND DIVERSITY ADVISORY BOARD
- Jayde Geia (Chair) – Legal Counsel QIC; Member Legal Profession Reconciliation Network, Alumnus of Indigenous Legal Internship Program
- Keith Shangare (Vice-Chair) – AFL Q State Diversity Coordinator – Programs & Participation; white Ribbon Ambassador
- Sharon Orapeleng – Principal/Facilitator at Psyched Solutions, Owner at Kalahari Designs, Director at Semphete Orphan Care Center (Botswana), Executive Member – White Ribbon Australia-Qld Committee, Board Member – Qld Program of Assistance to Survivors of Torture and Trauma (QPASTT), Executive Secretary – Federation of African Communities Councils in Australia (FACCA), AFL Multicultural Community Ambassador
- Pele Ramdhani – National Sales Director Goodlife Health Clubs; Queensland African Communities Council Executive, QLD Indian Business Association Executive, AFL Multicultural Community Ambassador
- Eddie Sansbury – AFL Queensland State Diversity Coordinator – Talent & Participation
- Peter Yagmoor – AFL Queensland Diversity Coordinator – Indigenous & Multicultural Engagement
- Jenni Pickrell – State Manager Diversicare
- Geoff Palmer – Sport Master Health and Physical Education Teacher Yeronga SHS, AFL Multicultural Community Ambassador
- Jarad Marsh – Australia Post; AFL Multicultural Community Ambassador, Mayne AFC
- Yasmin Khan – President Qld Eidfest Association Inc., Director Ethnic Communities Council of Qld, AFL Multicultural Community Ambassador, Multicultural Ambassador Asian Cup 2015, JP (Qual)
- Barry Gibson – AFL Queensland State Football Operations Manager
- Cherie Brockwell – AFL Queensland State Junior Football Manager