Cats’ blistering start sets up QAFL win

By Beth Newman


Broadbeach kept themselves in the top two hunt, with a 42-point win over Surfers Paradise.

The Cats’ six-goal first term proved the difference in the match, which put the Cats a game clear in third, with only percentage separating them from second.

After chasing the Demons down in their last clash, Cats coach, Wayne Petterd, said the start was a focus for them.

“We got off to a bit of a flyer and that was handy,” he said.

“We got into ruts again when we let them back into the game, but

Taylor Haley had a day out, with five goals, benefitting from the added support of

Southport-listed tall, Kieran Brennan, on the comeback from a foot injury.

“When you’re 6’8” and an athlete, you more or less draw the ball to yourself,” Petterd said of Brennan.

“Having him straightened us up a bit.”

Nick Scott was again superb for the Cats, while Andrew Siekai was rewarded for his hard work with two goals and youngster Dale Maden was solid again.

There will be some worries in the Cats camp, after a shoulder injury to Liam Frawley.

The half-back has been sensational for Broadbeach in recent weeks, but could be out for anywhere up to a month, after his day finished in the match’s first 10 minutes.

Surfers Paradise coach, Beau Zorko, said his side lacked energy all day.

“We were flat from ball one and it showed,” he said.

“They got the jump on us and as well as we neutralised the game, we jut didn’t have that zip and the spark to play the game we way we need to play.

The Demons’ defence worked hard all day under an early barrage, with veteran Simon Fenton vital at both ends of the ground, kicking two goals after starting in the back pocket.


It was the closest any team has come, Grange ultimately fell short in their bid to knock off undefeated Morningside.

Trailing by just nine points after kicking four of the first five final quarter goals, the Gorillas could almost taste an unlikely victory, before the Panthers piled on the next six, to win 21.13 (139) -13.14 (92).

Grange player coach, Matt Trewhella, led all comers, with seven goals, and had plenty of positives to take from the match.

Grange’s Lachie Niland-Rowe (two goals) had a breakout match, with Trewhella noting the teen found his niche in the forward line, stepping up in the absence of Jordan McIvor-Clark.

“We’ve played him down back and on the wing and he was just getting lost,” he said.

“He played his best game for the club and probably could have had more goals.”
Morningside’s Matt Logan kicked two pivotal goals in that last quarter, to finish with five for the day, in a super performance, while debutant, Ryan Roselli, showed some potential.

Morninigside lacked the slick qualities that normally characterise their passages of play, but coach, David Lake said his focus was on the bigger picture.

“We’ve taken the foot off the teaching pedal and the last two weeks, put it on enjoyment,” he said.

“We just want to make sure we get through this patch of the season, where there’s nothing really up for grabs.

“There’s no good staying there unless we get an outcome, so we’re resting players if they’re not 100 per cent.”


Mt Gravatt will spend another week in fifth spot, after a 55-point win over UQ.

The Vultures bounced back from a loss to Surfers Paradise last weekend, with the comfortable 14.19 (103) – 6.12 (48) win a vital confidence boost for them.

Mt Gravatt coach, Brad Pollock, said the win was a crucial one to get the side back on track.

“I was really pleased with quite a few of the boys who have been a bit down the last few weeks,” he said.

“We went back to our basic structure and controlled it (the ball) a lot better and our decision making was much improved.”

Vultures defender, Todd Carbone, battled through illness to play in the match, thrown into the side’s forward line on the day, while Jesse Green and Chris Murphy both showed a return to form at Graham Rd.

After an unlucky run with injuries, Pollock said simply getting through a match unscathed was a reason to go home smiling.

“I’m doing backflips after that,” he said.

“We’ll have a few good ins next week and in the next two or three weeks, so fingers crossed, we have no more injuries and we can regenerate.”

UQ coach, Matt Stewart, was pleased with the character his players showed, to fight the game out.

“The players knew their output wasn’t good enough, not what we expect, so they wanted to get something out of the last quarter,” he said.

“We could’ve laid down but they chose to fight back.”

Darling Downs trio, Harry Milford, Dan Mauch and Sam Rockliff were all good for the Red Lions, while Michael Stewart continued his 2014 form.


The spotlight brightened on Palm Beach’s next generation, in a 34-point over the Western Magpies.

Palm Beach’s younger brigade stood up in the absence of Bryce Perry-Bolt, Jackson Emblem and Tim Fielding, showing the Lions’ depth in the 17.6 (108) -10.14 (74).
Lions debutant Max Spencer was outstanding in his first match for Palm Beach, with six marks and two goals, while Bryce Tomlinson and Josh Hay continued to push their cases for regular senior spots.

“His first goal was from a pack mark in the goal square, that was good to see,” Lions coach Daryn Cresswell said.

“It’s really good to see those kids come in and contribute and gain confidence from that.”

After trailing by seven points early in the second quarter, a string of 10 Lions goals to one broke the game open for the Lions, ultimately proving the difference.

Sam Kitchin and Clint Kelly continued to lead the way in front of goals without Perry-Bolt and Josh Woolley had his best game of the season.

The Magpies were competitive in the match, but couldn’t finish off their hard work, coach Glenn Humphrey said.

“We had some good patches of the game and the main thing that’s disappointing is we didn’t convert on those parts of the game,” he said.

“But, hey, we can compete with some of the best sides in the competition and we just need to keep working together and continue.”

“It was unlucky but that’s the way it goes.”

Ben Jaenke-Cain and Chris Hunt continued their impressive seasons, while Luke Mitchell, Mitch Stallard and Sean Mewing stood out for the Magpies.


Labrador sent an ominous message to the QAFL competition, with a 110-point win over Sandgate.

The Tigers fielded one of their strongest sides of the season in the match and it showed in the 21.15 (141) – 4.7 (31) win.

A seven goal third term put the game beyond doubt, and the Tigers’ defence, the area where they’ve enjoyed the most stability this season, was at its stingiest.

Simon Seddon spent more time up forward against the Hawks, and it paid dividends, with the regular midfielder kicking eight goals.

Nick Stockdale kicked four goals in his first senior match since June last year, while Mat Clarke was crucial playing on the wing and in the half-back line after coming out of retirement.

Labrador coach, Steve Daniel, said the return of those players, as well as Todd Featherstone, was invaluable.

“We’re starting to get a few back on the paddock and that makes a major difference,” he said.

“Featherstone today was outstanding around the stoppages.

“When those players go out of your side, you don’t realise how much you actually lose.”

A difficult week at Lemke Rd, with the resignation of coach, Rob Dickfos, looked to take its toll on the players, football manager, David Bujega said.

“Just to get out on thee the paddock was a start for us,” he said.

“Now we just need to try and finish the year off.”

Fraser Jones and Declan Bevan stood tall for the Hawks in the match.

Sandgate’s Liam Rutledge exited the match early with a knee injury, which BUjega said would hopefully only put him out for a fortnight.

Like the official QAFL Facebook page here.

Follow the QAFL on Twitter: @QAFLnews

Follow Beth on Twitter: @bethknewman

Our Supporters