By Ant Wingard
AFL Queensland has this week announced the fixture for the Alpha Sport Women’s Showdown, featuring two single-day competitions for the south east regions’ four senior female competitions.
The showdown will be held at Leyshon Park, Yeronga across March 17 and 18.
The Alpha Sport Women’s Showdown will comprise of women’s teams from the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and the Gold Coast, allotted into two individual competitions.
Alpha Sport has generously sponsored the preseason competition in its inaugural year, strengthening the ties between AFL Queensland and the sports supplier.
Saturday, March 17 will feature nine teams from the QWAFL and QWFA Division 1 competitions, seeded across three pools. Similarly, on Sunday, March 18, 14 teams from the QWFA Division 2 North and QWFA Division 2 South competitions, seeded into two pools, will compete.
All teams will play a minimum of three games in the showdown, culminating in a Grand Final, with each day’s winner receiving an Alpha Sport Sports Starter Pack, valued at over $500.
The Alpha Sport Showdown will also feature a chill out zone, consisting of massage tables, four masseuses, music, and marquees for use at the participant’s discretion.
Specific info – Saturday March 17 QWAFL and QWFA Division 1 9 teams
- Three pools of three teams – all teams play others in the pool once (two matches).
- The top team in each pool after these matches will enter a final pool. In this pool, you will play each opposition (two matches). The team on top of this pool after these matches will be the winner of the day.
- Teams in position 2 and 3 in each pool will play an additional match as follows;
A2 v B2 C2 v A3 B3 v C3
Specific Info – Sunday March 18 QWFA Division 2 North & South 14 teams
- Competition has two pools – all teams will play three matches.
- The top two teams from each pool will advance to a semi-final – A1 v B2, B1 v A2. The winner of each match will proceed to the Final. The winner of this match will be the winner of the day.