Are you passionate about your AFL footy? Would you like to be rewarded for promoting it at your school?
Become an AFL School Ambassador!
* 2013 registration is online only - click here*
Some examples of the role of an AFL School Ambassador can play are as follows:
- The strong promotion of AFL, especially the "safe" enjoyable and skilful aspects.
- An advocate for AFL programs in the school.
- Implement the new AFL - Our National Game, Curriculum learning activities (found on www.afllearning.com.au ).
- Professionally develop other staff members in all aspects of AFL Programs.
- Ensure school is participating in all football programs - clinics and competitions.
- Be an effective "team" member of your schools sporting district.
Other Ideas of how AFL School Ambassadors can contribute to the promotion of AFL:
- Contact person for the local junior or senior Community club(s)
- Promote junior registration to all students
- Attend P&C meetings to promote program
- Promote school holiday football coaching clinics conducted by AFL Queensland
- Promote Football programs in Media/School newsletter
AFL Queensland Support for School Football Ambassadors:
- Curriculum materials
- Professional development
- Ongoing assistance from AFL Queensland staff - Development Officers
- Invitations to Teacher Recognition functions
- Receive a National AFL School Ambassador Newsletter
- Complimentary Apparel
- Regular communication
Each year, outstanding service and work with AFL in schools is recognised through the AFL School Ambassador of the Year award.
Each AFL Queensland Region nominates their best School Ambassador to be considered for the Queensland AFL School Ambassador of the Year, in Primary or Secondary areas.
Winners were announced at a special School Ambassador function at the Gabba, Saturday 18th August in conjunction with the Brisbane Lions v Adelaide Crows match.
Congratulations to our Primary winner, David Maddock-Jones from Alligator Creek State School, Mackay, and our joint Secondary winners, Kath Newman from William Ross State High School, Townsville, and Ben Lloyd from Victoria Point State High School, Brisbane.
Winners will receive a trip to Melbourne to the first week of the Toyota AFL Finals Series, including flights, accommodation and will attend one of the Finals matches at the MCG.
2011: Tim Lincoln (Our Lady of the Southern Cross College, Dalby; Nick Clarry (Kirwan State High School).
2010: Tim Mapley and Brendan Gillespie (St Edward the Confessor School)
AFL Queensland Game Development staff will be responsible for nominating teachers in their region, as well as accepting nominations, to become AFL School Ambassadors.
Click here to nominate or renominate for 2013.
Click here for an information brochure.