Victoria win QFA Division 2 Reserves and QFA Colts White Premirships

By Alice Barker

The Victoria Point Sharks came out on top following a massive weekend of Grand Final action as the club dominated in both the QFA Division 2 Reserves and Colts White competitions.

The win for the Reserves on Sunday caps off a massive season for the team who were looking for retribution after taking home the wooden spoon in the 2018 season.

The side went up against Alexandra Hills at Leyshon Park, their last encounter being only two weeks before in the Qualifying Final where the Sharks secured their Grand Final spot as they defeated their local coast rivals 13.8-86 to 10.11-71.

As the first siren rang on Grand Final day the Sharks showed everyone how badly they wanted the Premiers title with half-forward Dylan Byrne quickly capitalising on the Bombers’ mistake, scoring from a free kick directly in front of the goal.

This set the precedent for the game to come as the young Victoria Point team, made up of 17 former Junior Sharks, kept their cool under the pressure.

Victoria Point threatened to run away with the win at the beginning of the second stanza, but the Bombers steadied booting four consecutive goals closing the margin between the two teams.

Both sides seemed too scared to make a move following the halftime break, taking until the 13th minute of play to make a difference to the scoreboard as Bombers Dion King scored for his side bringing the margin to a solitary point.

The close-knit affair was decided late in the final term as the Sharks managed to hold the Bombers at bay until the last siren, the final scoreboard reading 9.13-67 to 8.9-57.

Zachary Sellar and Blake Joseph for the Bombers were key keeping their side in the competition while best on ground was Dylan Byrne from Victoria Point.

In the Colts White competition Victoria Point seemed to be on the front foot boasting ten players with Grand Final experience as they looked to face the Minor Premieres Burleigh Bombers.

Although the game was slow to start with the only major of the term booted from Joshua Brown of the Sharks camp after 15 minutes of play.

The second term was when the Grand Final really began.

Booting three majors in the first eight minutes was Dylan Stonehouse and James Huntley-Chipper for the Bombers but the Sharks had other ideas, matching their goals to finish the half one point ahead of their Gold Coast rivals.

Joshua Brown kicked his fourth major of the day following a spectacular mark in the opening minutes of the third quarter.


It took the Bombers 15 minutes to respond after multiple behinds from both sides, with Riley Winter kicking a goal for Burleigh leaving a single point separating the clubs heading into the final term.

The arm wrestle wasn’t over there as both teams booted goal for goal in the first ten minutes of the last quarter, proving both sides deserved to be in this Grand Final just as much as the other.

Unfortunately for the Bombers, the Sharks outswum their competition as final majors from Lachlan Graham and Joshua Brown sealed their 10.5-65 to 7.10-52 victory.

Victoria Point’s Angus Moloney was best on ground for the day, while Joshua Brown kicked five majors.

Riley Winter and Dylan Stonehouse were key movers for the Gold Coast side.


QFA Division 2 Reserves

Yeronga – Leyshon Park
Sunday 1 September, 2019
Victoria Point 9.13 (67) def. Alexandra Hills 8.9 (57)
Best On Ground: Dylan Byrne, Victoria Point

Colts White

Yeronga – Leyshon Park
Sunday 1 September, 2019
Victoria Point 10.5 (65) def. Burleigh Bombers 7.10 (52)
Best On Ground: Angus Moloney, Victoria Point

Photography credit: Highflyer Images

Our Supporters