Saturday 7 August 2010

A powerhouse 14-goal second half propelled Labrador to a comprehensive 57-point win over Redland at Cooke-Murphy Oval today after the home side trailed at halftime.

The Tigers were wasteful early but once they found their radar, they were deadly, winning 21.17 (143) to 13.8 (86).

“We generated enough inside 50s, we just didn’t finish off – again,” said Labrador coach Jarrod Field. “It has been an ongoing problem and we spoke about it at halftime.”

Trailing 7.12 to 9.3, the Tigers added 7.2 to 0.2 to show why they are sitting atop the premiership table.

With Jason Howard dominating the midfield, Russell Alleway providing a strong marking target up forward, and Mat Clarke rebounding beautifully off half-back, the Tigers were unstoppable.

“That was the defining quarter of the game, the fact that we were able to convert made all the difference,” Field said

“That 7.2 meant we were able to apply scoreboard pressure, which is very different to when you kick 4.5 or 3.6.

“Our pressure was very good all day and we got the rewards after halftime.”

Redland began with the same spark that they showed in last week’s historic win over Southport, the two sides booting five goals apiece in an entertaining opening term.

Mark Vigus kicked three goals for the term for the Tigers and finished with six for the day in his best game for the season.

The Tigers sprayed 2.10 to 4.2 in a frustrating second term for Field, with Redland midfielders Justin Myers, James Charlesworth and Phil Carse helping their side to keep in touch.

Bombers marking machine Scott Clouston was well held by Steve Wrigley, who continues to be one of the buys of the season for the Tigers.

The third quarter onslaught was impressive as Labrador maintained their one game lead over Southport on the premiership table.

“Labrador were just too good. They played a very competitive brand of one-on-one football,” said Redland coach Matty Francis.

“They beat us in all areas and you can’t take anything away from them.”

Our Supporters