The Queensland Government has announced a snap three-day lockdown from 4:00pm today for 11 local government area (LGAs) in South East Queensland.
Due to the lockdown and as per advice from Queensland Health, any AFL Queensland matches that have not commenced as at 10:30am are cancelled. All matches scheduled for the lockdown period will also not proceed.
All programs, including the StreetSmarts AFLQ Schools Cup, Auskick and Superstars, scheduled for the lockdown period will not proceed.
The AFL has also made the following decisions relating to games scheduled to be played as part of the Toyota AFL Premiership Round 20:
– Gold Coast SUNS vs. Melbourne scheduled to be played at Metricon Stadium today has been postponed. The Melbourne Football Club departed Victoria this morning, however, the charter flight will return to Melbourne later today.
– Essendon vs. Sydney Swans scheduled to be played at The Gabba today has been postponed.
– Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions will proceed as planned at UTAS Stadium in Launceston at 2:10pm AEST on Sunday, August 1. The Brisbane Lions departed Queensland earlier today as scheduled.
– GWS GIANTS vs. Port Adelaide scheduled to be played at Metricon Stadium at 3:10pm on Sunday, August 1 has been postponed.
Strict lockdown in place
During the lockdown, people will only be able to leave their homes for four reasons:
- obtaining essential goods
- essential work, school or childcare
- exercise with only one person from outside the household
- caring for a vulnerable person or seeking medical treatment or a COVID-19 vaccination or test.
The local government areas to lockdown include Brisbane, Logan, Moreton Bay, Ipswich, Redlands, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Noosa, Somerset, Lockyer Valley and Scenic Rim.
Obtaining goods or exercising will be restricted to within 10 kilometres of your home.
AFL Queensland will continue to work with the Queensland Government and health authorities and be guided by their advice.
The health, safety and wellbeing of our football community is our highest priority.