SEQ match cancellations and ground closures

AFL Queensland has made the decision to abandon all senior matches in South East Queensland this weekend.

This decision was not taken lightly, as we fully understand players are keen to get on the field for Round 1.

However, after undertaking the necessary due diligence with our various stakeholders, we determined the following;

Player and Volunteer Safety
The safety and welfare of participants and volunteers is always paramount to any decision we make. Based on the warnings from the weather bureau, we have genuine safety concerns of participants and volunteers being on the roads during this period.

Weather Forecast
We have already experienced significant rainfall in SEQ and the extreme weather alerts indicate further rainfall in the vicinity of 100 – 500mm, high winds, localised and flash flooding across SEQ over the next 24 hours.

Ground Surfaces
The strong advice from our turf management expert is that allowing games to go ahead this weekend on soft/wet surfaces will cause damage, which will most likely impact on the quality of the grounds for the remainder of the season.

Local Councils
Several local councils have already closed grounds and there is no indication as to when they will be re-opened. It’s important that we are working proactively with our councils to protect the integrity of the playing surfaces for the season ahead.

Club Costs
Whilst we understand some clubs operate and maintain their own grounds, we are cognisant of the costs involved in ground repairs for matches that occur on soft/wet surfaces, as such we want to eliminate any unnecessary expenses for clubs.


All Brisbane Juniors matches scheduled for Friday 31st March, Saturday 1st April & Sunday 2nd April have been cancelled.

The decision has been made due the current conditions and the forecast for the next 48 hours as well as information we have received in relation to ground closures by councils and ground managers. Consideration has been given to the safety of the participants and volunteers, not only in relation to the condition of the grounds but also in relation to travelling to the venues and the possibility of flooded roads.

We understand that the predictions are for the weather to gradually clear on Saturday & Sunday but this does not mean that grounds could be significantly damaged if matches were to go ahead resulting in damage bills of many thousands of dollars.

The matches will not be rescheduled and premiership points will be shared.

Clubs will receive official notification later today in relation to regrading requests and the Club Grading Meeting next Wednesday.



Our Supporters