Red Lions clinch first QAFL win

By Beth Newman


It was a mixture of relief and elation for UQ in their first QAFL win, over Sandgate.

The Red Lions broke through with the 17.9 (111) – 12.10 (82) victory, giving them their first state league win.

UQ coach, Matt Stewart, said the win was the culmination of his side’s improvement this season.

“I think I was most of all happy for the guys, who have been working so hard to execute the things we want to,” he said.

“The belief has been growing more and more – we’re growing as a club, as a group, every single week and this adds to that belief and development.”

Jarrod Prakelt booted six goals in UQ’s win, while Aspley’s Cain Tickner (four goals) was significant, but Stewart said it was the side’s consistent effort across the board that made the difference.

“They knew they had to play four consistent quarters and they were selfless nad did the team things that got us over the line,”he said.

For Sandgate, the match could prove a pivotal moment in their season, with coach, Rob Dickfos shouldering some of the blame for the result, coming on the back of their recent string of narrow losses.

“Yesterday, we didn’t compete the way we have been, it was disappointing,” he said.

“I have to look at what I do and how I go about it. I have to question myself before I got back and analyse the game.”

Aspley pair, Michael Hutchinson (three goals) and Josh Wagner, were instrumental for Sandgate on a difficult afternoon

The Hawks’ day went from bad to worse, with knee injuries to Tyler Arnott-Hollick and Corbin Dickfos.


Morningside’s winning streak hit double digits on Saturday, with a 17.18 (120)  -9.9 (63) victory over Labrador.

The Tigers came out firing early, trailing by just seven points at quarter-time, before  a goalless second term stretched the Panthers’ advantage to 41 points.

Morningside’s depth shone through in the game, with tags on Paul Shelton, Matt Logan, Nathan Kinch and Sam Faure, doing little to quell their overall dominance.

Kent Abey (three goals) and Kurt Niklaus fought out the battle of the day in the Panthers’ goal square.

Ash Evans produced one of his best games in Morningside colours in a best on ground game, while Hayden Wilson’s comeback continues to gain momentum, in his best performance of the season.

Morningside coach, David Lake, said he was pleased with how his side responded to Labrador’s early challenges.

“In the second, we really put our foot down,” he said.

“The older heads just know what to do.”

Labrador coach, Steve Daniel, said the Tigers were outclassed by the ladder leaders.

“They’re a super side, Morningside and when you try and keep a couple of their better three or four quiet, others just bob up,” he said.

“The boys really had a go, but we just weren’t good enough.”

The Panthers could be without Adam Spackman for up to three weeks, after the 25 year-old suffered a shoulder injury, while Michael Wyld pulled a hamstring in the shadows of full-time.

Labrador will be hoping to welcome a handful of players back into their side next week, with Ryan Davey and Michael Gugliotta heading a list of likely inclusions.


Broadbeach handed a reality check to Mt Gravatt, with a 16.8 (104) – 8.11 (59) win over the Vultures.

The Cats were in front all day and played their run and carry style to perfection, reasserting themselves as a flag threat.

Broadbeach fullback, James Royes, was superb in a best on ground performance, earning high praise from coach, Wayne Petterd.

“He had a ripper game,” Petterd said.

“We wanted more of a physical presence in defence and he was really good at it.”

Dan Skrinis kicked four majors in his comeback from a hamstring injury, with Petterd hopefully he can stay on the park consistently.

“Dan’s a good player but his body lets him down,” he said.

“He’s vital, he goes hard and straight and he can go through the midfield as well,” he said.

Vultures coach, Brad Pollock, said he would be looking to move on quickly from the loss.

“It was basically an off day,” he said.

“We made errors with our delivery thought the midfield and we were just not good enough.”

“It showed that if you don’t bring your A-grade game, you’re going to get knocked off.”

Matthew Johnson was one of the better Vultures on the day, running on the wing, while Sam Godfrey produced a consistent effort.


Palm Beach well and truly rebounded from last week’s loss, with a 23.8 (146) – 10.9 (69) win over Surfers Paradise.

The Demons were on to pearly, but the Lions responded brilliantly, punishing the home side with accuracy as well, kicking majors with almost every scoring shot.

Sam Kitchin didn’t miss a beat in his return from injury, with four goals, showing his value to the Lions side, coach Daryn Cresswell said.

“He’s a lass player and we’ve certainly missed him,” he said.

“Having him, Higgsy (Kristen Higgs) and Clint Kelly made us less predictable,” he said.

With Tim Fielding also played his first game after a long absence with injury, the Lions are getting close to their full-strength side and that showed against the Demons

Surfers Paradise bookends Trent McIntyre (six goals) and Brody Haberfield were two of the best for the Demons, while Darcy Dienjes kept Palm Beach captain, Jesse Derrick, quiet.

Haberfield kept Palm Beach full forward Bryce Perry-Bolt (two goals) quiet in the game, but that void was filled by a number of other Lions, including Kitchin and Higgs (five goals).

Demons coach, Beau Zorko, said his side’s lack of fight was a concern in the match.

“We executed what he had planned to early and then for some unknown reason, we played some very selfish and individual football,” he said.

“I thought in the last 20 minutes, we just gave up.”

Zorko said there could be some home truths delivered during the week.

“There are a few line in the sand moments, and that could be reflected in team selection after reviewing the footage,” he said.

“There are some fundamental things and non-negotiables that we need to do a heck of a lot better.”


Wilston Grange catapulted back into finals contention, with a win over the Western  Magpies, 14.19 (103) – 10.10 (70).

It was the Gorillas’ second straight win, putting them just one game out of the top five, and giving them some crucial momentum heading into a difficult month.

Trailing by 13 points at half-time, Wilston Grange finished well, kicking 10 second half goals, including the last four of the match, to clinch a comfortable win.

Dan Farry kicked five goals from the midfield in a standout performance for Wilston Grange and his biggest haul of the year.

Gorillas playing coach, Matt Trewhella, said the match was his side’s best of the season.

“That was the happiest I’ve been all year,” he said.

“The boys won their one on one contests all day and as the game went on, we got on top across the ground,” he said.

Hugh Campbell was one of the best for the Gorillas, while Bradie Foster was important in his second game of the season.

Trewhella said the win had injected some confidence into his side heading into the back end of the season.

“The way we’ve been training and playing, there’s a lot of belief in the group,” he said.

“It’s a tough month of footy coming up, facing the former NEAFL sides, but we’ve got a good run hoem and we need to take the wins we nearly got the first time round.”

Magpies captain, Lachlan Woods, was the best for his side in the midfield, while Ben Jaenke-Cain continued his good form and Redland-listed Jordan Bain kicked three.

Like the official QAFL Facebook page here.

Follow the QAFL on Twitter: @QAFLnews

Follow Beth on Twitter: @bethknewman

Our Supporters