QWAFL: Round 14 review




It wasn’t the dominate performance we have come to expect from Yeronga, but the Devils still walked away with the four points on Saturday, grinding out a 22-point win over Zillmere.

The Devils have made it their mission in recent weeks to start games with a bang, and they continued that trend against the Eagles, dominating the early going.

Selina Puruntatameri and Kylie Welsh were scintillating for the Devils in the first quarter, kicking a goal each and providing plenty of run through the guts.

Another three goals in ten minutes set the tone for Yeronga, and with a 26-point quarter time lead, the game was at risk of being blown wide open.

The contest evened out in the second term, but both sides were struggling to find any avenue to goal.

Zillmere looked dangerous early on in the quarter with a renewed sense of intensity, but the Eagles lack of scoreboard pressure was costing them.

A pair of quick goals from Jade Ransfield and Nat Thomas undid all of Zillmere’s hard work, and handed Yeronga a big 41-point lead.

With the seconds ticking down in the half, Kylie Guarino slotted one to reduce the margin to 35-points at the main break, but Yeronga were still firmly in control.

Zillmere needed quick goals to have any chance of a comeback victory in the second half, and Monica Allen got the Eagles off to the perfect start, kicking one inside a minute.

A quick response from Nat Thomas helped the Devils steady the ship in the third, and when Ransfield kicked two more late in the quarter, it looked all but over for Zillmere.

However, the final quarter was what everyone has been expecting all season from the Eagles.

High tackling pressure, relentless run and swift ball movement saw Zillmere take control in the final quarter and it was some of the best football the Eagles have played all season.

Down by 38-points, it was time for Zillmere’s leaders to step up and Mikayla Anderson delivered, kicking a brilliant captains goal to fire the Eagles up.

A sensational 45-metre drop punt from Tayla Harris minutes later kept the Eagles momentum going and when Donna Davis kicked one from the goal square from the next centre bounce, it was game on.

20-points down with eight minutes on the clock was the equation for Zillmere; tough, but not impossible.

Some more centre clearance dominance gave the Eagles a sniff very late in the game, but the Devils did enough in the end to wind down the clock and walk away with the points.

Cracking game of football.

Coach’s thoughts


Scott Stephens – Yeronga

“We had a good start obviously, but we came out after half time and we were flat and let a few things bother us that we probably shouldn’t.

“All in all we came here to get four points and we got it, it wasn’t ideal and we didn’t play anywhere near our best but the main thing is we got over the line.

“We have a bye next week so it gives the girls a chance to freshen up a bit and gives me the chance to get them refocused again.

“Zillmere had a much improved side from last time we played them, but we know there are things we have to work on.”


Jacob Simmons-Bliss – Zillmere

“We played an absolutely stunning three quarters of football today.

“The first quarter we sort of let them get that 26-point buffer, but we came back and won the last three quarters by four points, which is an excellent effort.

“It was a really hard, scintillating performance against a very quality opposition and I really couldn’t be happier.

“We promised our best performances at this stage of the season and three games in a row now we’ve produced really good efforts against a lot of adversity.”



They promised so much after competing every inch of the way with Coolangatta last week, but Griffith Moorooka couldn’t back it up on Saturday, losing by 78-points to UQ.

The Red Lionesses have been building for a few weeks now after a string of solid performances, and it was clear from the opening term that UQ were switched on.

A four-goal to nothing first quarter was the perfect start for the Red Lionesses and Griffith Moorooka never looked a chance in the early going.

Bree Koenen was again a rock for UQ in the midfield, winning contest after to contest to put the Red Lionesses in all the right positions.

After missing the best part of a month due to injury and state duties, UQ’s captain, Sharnii Webb, returned with a bang, kicking two first half goals.

A late second quarter goal to Rebecca McInnes helped reduce the half-time margin to 43-points, but UQ were well and truly in the drivers seat at the main break.

It was more one way traffic in the second half, with Koenen and Shewring continuing to dominate the clearance work for UQ.

First-gamer, Mikayla Warlond, had a debut to remember, booting five goals for the afternoon in a stunning performance.

Griffith Moorooka fought gallantly in the second-half, managing another two goals for the afternoon through McInnes and Cara Fewkes.

Jenna Vandyk had another superb game for the Reds down back, but even she couldn’t stop the onslaught from UQ, who went on to boot 14 goals for the game.

The 11-goal victory gives the Red Lionesses their third win for the season and some real momentum heading into a clash with Wilston Grange next Sunday.


Coach’s thoughts


Michael Swann – UQ

“We spoke before the game that Griffith would be on if we gave them a sniff early, so it was good to see the girls get out of the blocks fast.

“They didn’t make it easy for us at any stage, so it was good to see that there weren’t really any patches where we dropped off.

“It was good to see the girls get some of that ball movement happening that we’ve been working on, we just need to convert on our pressure better.

“Each week has felt like a bit of an improvement for us, today included, but there is definitely still room to get better before the end of the season.


Sam Virgo – Griffith Moorooka

“It was a pretty disappointing game to be honest after a great performance last week.

“UQ played a great game of footy, but we took a while to switch on and didn’t play a good first half at all.

“We had three girls pull out this morning and I think that mentally affected us, we weren’t able to switch on and the heat also affect us.

“The second half was much better than the first, we made sure everyone took ownership in their role, but there is no excuses really, we were too easily distracted by lots of things.”



What a difference a week makes.

Smashed to the tune of 103-points last weekend by a near identical side, the Gorillas rallied on Sunday to give Coorparoo a real run for their money.

With a full side at their disposal, the Gorillas looked a different team on the weekend, dictating the style and pace of the play from the get go.

Coorparoo kicked a pair of first quarter goals through Sally Young and Zara Lee to race to a quick lead, but the Gorillas reeled them in during the second term, slowing the pace down.

Wilston Grange have always been renowned as a physical side and their tackling pressure paid huge dividends in the first half, stopping the Navy Roos from spreading around the ground.

A pair of goals to Brie Weatherstone late in the second term not only won the quarter for Wilston Grange, but helped reduce the margin to just 11-points at half-time.

Despite a bit of a lacklustre first-half performance, the Navy Roos gritted their teeth and regained control of the game in the third quarter.

An early goal to Mackenzie Arnold gave Coorparoo some breathing space at the start of the term and a classy Emma Zielke major gave the Navy Roos a shaky 25-point lead at the final change.

Emma Gerke was fantastic all afternoon for the Gorillas, shutting down Coorparoo and Queensland gun, Hannah Sexton, in a standout performance.

A late four quarter goal from Ariana Reilly put the game beyond doubt for Coorparoo, who extended their winning streak to 11 with the 30-point victory.

It wasn’t the type of performance we have come to expect from the Navy Roos, but the four points sees them move into top spot on the ladder for the first time in 2015.


Coach’s thoughts

Bernie Cantrell – Coorparoo

“I’m not really happy with the performance today – I give a lot of credit to Grange, their attack on the footy was brilliant and ours wasn’t, we were well below par.

“The start once again was poor, similar to last week we were flat, slow and behind the ball and Grange took advantage of that.

“Grange really took it to us and they beat us in the physical side, we played as though we weren’t ready for the game, it was disappointing.

“I don’t think we showed enough respect for our opponent and I let the girls know that, if we do that against a Yeronga or Cooly we will be in big trouble.”

Ron Kemp – Wilston Grange

“It was a tight contest and we certainly competed well, they just used the footy a little better and had a few classier players finish passages off.

“We had the ball in our forward fifty a lot, but just couldn’t convert – I have to take my hat off to Coorparoo, they fought and scrapped hard all day.

“I expected a better performance this week and the players certainly delivered that, we cut the deficit by nearly 70-points from last week.

“We applied good pressure all day, we slowed up the contest and we tackled hard – if we can play like that and retain our players I think we can jag a win against a top side.”

By Grant Hitzman – @granthitzman


Our Supporters