(Photo: Zimmorlei Farquharson)
On Saturday 3 October, Queensland’s top male and female young AFL talent will take part in the NAB AFL and AFLW Draft Combine at Emmanuel and Somerset Colleges on the Gold Coast.
Previously held in Melbourne, this year, the NAB Draft Combine is being held across several state-based venues due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Prior to the draft, the NAB Combine puts draft prospects through their paces. It’s an opportunity for AFL and AFLW clubs to see and consider players’ physical abilities and readiness for the elite competition.
AFL Queensland Talent Manager, Mark Browning, said the absence of national games this year has seen most draftees identified out of state leagues such as QAFL and QAFLW.
Mr Browning said, “Ultimately our job is to make sure all clubs around Australia are engaging young talent and providing more opportunities for prospective players to enter professional ranks.”
“They’re assessed on a combination of factors, taking into consideration their performance both on and off the field,” said Mr Browning.
Following the Combine, the women will play in an NAB AFLW All-Star Match on Sunday 4 October between Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast SUNS Academy players as an additional opportunity to showcase their talent. The match will take place at Bond University at 1pm.
The NAB AFLW Draft will take place on Tuesday 6 October in a virtual format with clubs to participate via web conference.
The NAB AFL Draft will take place in the week commencing Monday 7 December.
NAB AFL Draft Combine list Queensland
- Alex Davies (SUNS Academy)
- Blake Coleman (Lions Academy)
- Carter Michael (Lions Academy)
- Jack Briskey (Brisbane Academy)
- Max Pescud (Gold Coast Academy)
- Saxon Crozier (Lions Academy)
NAB AFLW Draft Combine list Queensland
- Annise Bradfield (Southport)
- Beth Pinchin (Coolangatta)
- Brooke Spence (Coorparoo)
- Chloe Gregory (Maroochydore)
- Christine Okesene (Yeronga)
- Courteney Bromage (Yeronga)
- Daisy D’Arcy (Hermit Park)
- Ebony Peterson (Coolangatta)
- Laura Blue (Coorparoo)
- Lucy Single (Bond University)
- Madison Goodwin (Yeronga)
- Maddison Levi (Bond University)
- Zimmorlei Farquharson (Calamvale/Yeronga)
** The Combine also include some boys and girls who have been nominated from the Northern Territory who will attend the Queensland testing. Some other Queensland players have been identified and will also be involved in testing on the day.
Media are invited to attend the NAB AFL Draft Combine and NAB AFL All-Star Match. All media requests to be directed to Clare Dale (Clare.Dale@afl.com.au).