QAFL EF Wrap: Morningside storm home over Pies

Morningside                             3.3,  4.7,  8.8,  14.9  (93)
Western Magpies                         3.4,  6.7,  10.11,  10.13  (73)


It’s three quarter time. Morningside are 15-points down, their season is on the line.

What happened over the next 30 minutes would prove that you can’t put a price on finals experience, you can’t put a price on cool heads under pressure, and you can’t put a price on class.

They ran right over the top of the Magpies, kicking six last quarter goals to nil, to storm into a preliminary final next week against Wilston Grange.

The day started with Morningside’s two big forwards, Mueller and Abey, kicking one each, but it was the Magpies who looked a bit better.

The Magpies kicked the next three, before Hackett kicked a late one to bring the margin to one-point at the first break.

In the second term, the Magpies were able to control the stoppages, something they pride themselves on.

Once they had their hands on the football first, they were able to pull the trigger and pump the ball in long.

They missed a few shots early, but goals to Thompson and Dickfos in time on gave them a 12-point half time advantage.

The game opened right up in the third. Both teams were finding space in the middle, and were using it well by foot.

It was still the Magpies who were on top though. Carseldine was willing himself into every contest, was at the bottom of every pack, feeding out the handball time and time again. Mitchell was crashing through, and Janke-Cain was spreading the better.

When Maricic goaled at the 25-minute mark the Panthers were on the ropes.

A late one to Kinch, who had been held well early by Wenham and Maricic, made it a 15-point ball game at the last break.

The message from David Lake was simple; it’s all in front of you.

Morningside’s last quarter was summed up by Lachie Russ’ first five minutes. He got cleaned up putting his head over the ball at least three times, and every single time, he got back up straight away.

Abey kicked the first of the quarter, before Hackett and McNiece sharked the packs to goal, and all of a sudden they were in front.

They didn’t stop there though. They ran in waves through the middle, putting the Magpies’ defence under constant heat.

They made Yeronga look twice the size it did in the opening three quarters. They opened it right up.

When it was there to be won, they Panthers stood up. They were manic in their finish.

The siren rang, Morningside were 20-points up, and alive for another week,

For the men in balck and white, that was goodnight. Season 2015 had run its course.

If week three of the finals is anything like what we have seen in the first two, we are in for a treat.

I love September.


Coach’s thoughts:
Glenn Humphrey – Western Magpies

“Simple fact was, we weren’t good enough for long enough.

“We had our chances, we had our opportunities, but we just didn’t take them

“It’s a hollow feeling. We will sit down, get all the wives and girlfriends over here, and go through it all. We’ve been through it all as a group, and we will continue to do that.

“From where we have come from over the last two years it’s been a fair rise for us. We have just got to keep working on it. We are only part of the way to where we need to be.”


David Lake – Morningside

“It was about how long we could withstand the uncomfortable, which was going to be the difference in the game.

“There was a clear transition to discomfort to joy. Once we got outside in the end, we started to play.

“They had every chance to put us away in the third quarter and couldn’t. They kept working and working.

“We were almost over committing on the inside, and we eventually found some width.”

Our Supporters