Demons snatch major QAFL upset


A six-goal haul from Ryan Dienjes headlined a 42-point Surfers Paradise win, over Labrador.

As the Demons celebrated the anniversary of their 1974 GCAFL premiership, reviving an old local derby, their current-day QAFL side produced its best performance of the season and their captain led the way.

After an injury-interrupted pre-season, Dienjes has worked his way into the season, culminating in his outstanding effort on Saturday, a journey reflective of the Demons’ progression in 2014.

Demons coach, Beau Zorko, rated the 23 year-old’s game as his best in the red and blue.

“That was his best game for the footy club, partially because he’s shouldering a lot more responsibility,” he said.

“He really turned the game.”

Dienjes was by no means the only Demon who stood up, with Southport trio, and Surfers juniors, Fraser Pope, Ben Merrett and Regan Salter all instrumental.

Zorko said he was pleased with his side’s intensity over the match.

“I challenged the group at half-time to see how much we’d learned in seven days,” he said.

“The way they responded when challenged was great.”

Labrador kicked the first goal of the third term, giving them a sniff of victory, but Surfers Paradise steeled to keep them at arm’s length.

Michael I’Anson kicked two goals for the Tigers, while teenager, Dyson Budarick, continues to play with maturity beyond his years, putting in another good performance.

Labrador coach, Steve Daniel, was not making excuses after the game, despite a lengthy injury list seemingly taking its toll on the team.

“We were terrible in every aspect of the game,” he said.

“It’s 22 versus 22 and today their 22 went at the ball a hell of a lot more than my 22 did.”

The Tigers’ woes were compounded with injuries to Ryan Davey and Zac Brain in the match.


Wilston Grange gave Palm Beach an almighty scare, but ultimately fell just short to the Lions, 16.12 (108) -15.11 (101).

Palm Beach’s Bryce Perry-Bolt kicked the opening two majors, in an ominous sign, as the Lions ran out to 34-point half time lead, but they couldn’t put Wilston Grange away.

Down by 32 points at the final change, the Gorillas stormed home with five final quarter goals, putting them agonisingly close to the Lions, and forcing the home team to flood their forward line to stem the flow.

Wilston Grange player-coach, Matt Trewhella, led his side’s late charge, with three final quarter goals, and six for the day.

Trewhella lamented his side’s costly second quarter.

“We were undisciplined about our running and we were unaccountable (in that quarter),”he said.

“The guys are working hard enough but our communication was poor and we started to panic and that cost us.”

Palm Beach assistant coach, Mark Hayes, said the Lions lost some of their attacking spark after half time.

“We lost our legs in the midfield and we were a little lazy, to be honest,” he said.

“We were playing stop start football.

Southport-listed Stephen Thynne was Palm Beach’s best in the win, while outside mid Josh Woolley and on-baller Todd Bryant continued his stellar form.

State U18 player, Harris Andrews, was a revelation down back for the Gorillas, with the usual forward showing composure in the defensive half.

Jordan McIvor-Clark did a solid job on Palm Beach’s Blake Schneider, while Dave Kettle was instrumental in his return from injury.


Morningside coach, David Lake, believes his side still has plenty of improving to do, despite a 18.5 (113) – 6.11 (47) win over Mt Gravatt.

They never looked like losing, but Lake, said his charges had a bit of work to do, after hints of complacency snuck into their game.

“I think we were marred with a bit of complacency, we got a little bit comfortable,” he said.

“Complacency is the enemy.”

Alastair Nash, in his 100th game, had a strong performance for the Panthers in the win, while Kent Abey kicked five.

Morningside barely missed all day, with only three behinds until late in the final term, with their accuracy laying the foundations for the big win, despite only having six more scoring shots than Mt Gravatt.

At the other end, the Panthers’ defence continued its stingy 2014, keeping the Vultures to just the one goal until half-time.

It was a tighter affair in the latter half, with the Vultures’ intensity lifting, with Troy Rogers on the wing and Nick Tronc at centre half-back leading the way.

Mt Gravatt coach, Brad Pollock, said his side could take plenty of positives from the match.

“I think our general lack of experience was pretty costly,” he said.

“For 75 per cent of every quarter they matched them physically and around the contest, but there was probably seven or eight minutes where they just put goals on the board.

Having played two of the early season favourites, in Labrador and Morningside, Pollock said his side was determined to continue to improve.

“We’ve obviously got a lot of work to do, but they want to do something about it.”

Broadbeach escaped jail for the second straight week, pipping Sandgate in a thriller, 14.9 (93) – 13.11 (89).

This was a much closer affair than the Cats’ round five comeback win over Surfers Paradise, an arm wrestle all afternoon.

The Cats’ Caleb Hay slotted the winning goal with less than a minute to go, clinching the nail biter for the home side.

After their strong start to the year, Broadbeach coach, Wayne Petterd, said opposition were targeting his side, which showed against the Hawks.

“They’re starting to tag players and do their homework on us,” he said.

“That’s good for the group, it’ll make them work a bit harder.

“We want to get back to where we were two weeks ago, controlling the game.”

Sandgate’s performance couldn’t have been further from last week’s loss to Labrador, with the Hawks playing one of their most impressive matches of the year.

Usual defender Nick Jackson was impressive, in his return from state U18 duties, in a forward role, kicking three goals, while Aden and Liam Rutledge both produced strong performances.

Sandgate coach, Rob Dickfos, said the only disappointment was that they couldn’t take home the win.

“I’m about as happy as you can be without actually winning,” he said.

“If we consistently bring out that type of performance, we can continue to gain some notoriety in this competition.”

Jackson’s day was finished early, with both he and Adam Fry suffering leg injuries.


A seven-goal second quarter gave the Western Magpies a 18.16 (124) – 15.9 (99) win over UQ.

While the other three quarters proved a strong contest, the Magpies took the game by the scruff in the second, in a dominant display.

UQ set about a second half comeback in the right way, with the first goal of the third term, but the margin was ultimately too big to overcome.

Missing a handful of key players and with Ben Jaenke-Cain a late withdrawal, Magpies coach, Glenn Humphrey, was pleased his side could take the win.

“We seem to be able to find a way to win ugly,” he said.

“We’ve got good players to come back in and contribute further down the track.

“I’m looking forward to getting a full side on the field and then we’ll see how we go against some of the better sides.”

Redland-listed Jordan Bain, with four goals, was important again for the Magpies, while Matt Hockley was vital in the midfield.

UQ coach, Matt Stewart, said his side had showed improvement but needed to stay switched on for a full game.

“To be really competitive against a side that beat us by 100 points last year shows we’re heading in the right direction,” he said.

“We can’t go to sleep for any period of time and the guys see how important that is.”

Youngster Scott Miller was handy in his return from Lions reserves duties, while Red Lions captain, Michael Stewart, had another standout game, finishing with three goals

Young UQ defender, Jordan McDonald, had a shortened day, coming off with concussion.

Like the official QAFL Facebook page here.

Follow the QAFL on Twitter: @QAFLnews

Follow Beth on Twitter: @bethknewman

Our Supporters