Community Finals Whip Around

QFA South Grand Final


Springwood 2.5, 2.8, 7.12, 10.19  (79)
Coorparoo 0.2, 1.9, 3.9, 6.12  (48)


Back to back. Springwood have replicated their stellar 2014 in the best possible way, holding up the 2015 QFA South Premiership Cup yesterday.

They got the better of Coorparoo, turning a defensive first half into a convincing 31-point win.

Greg Friis broke the scoring deadlock 15 minutes into the first quarter, before Zaine Pringle added one in red time to give the Pumas a 15-point quarter time lead.

Gareth Dosser open the Kings account two minutes into the second quarter, but from that point, the rest of the half went into lock down mode, with no more majors for the term.

The pressure was up, both teams weren’t giving an inch, and the contest was red hot.

They call the third quarter the premiership quarter for a reason.

The difference in the game came in the first ten minutes, when the Pumas piled on four goals in a row to skip away to a 30-point advantage.

Coorparoo kicked the first two of the last quarter to give the game a bit of life, getting back within 15-points, but the Pumas instantly responded through Brown and McGill.

When Friis goaled at the 27 minute mark, they were home.

When the siren rang, Springwood was 31-points up, and champions once again.



QAFA (A) Grand Final 


Bond University 4.8, 7.11, 9.17, 12.21  (93)
Southeast SUNS 3.2, 5.4, 8.5, 9.8  (62)


Two years, two grades, two premierships. What a couple of years it’s been from Bond University.

The standard of the game was first class. It was free flowing, it was fast, players were finding space, and targets were being hit.

Bond started like a bull at a gate, kicking three of the first four, but they had a few go begging as well.

An Edward Burrows-Cheng late one gave Bond a nine-point quarter time lead.

The second was a tight tussle, with neither team able to get a run on.

The start of the third was when the SUNS played showed their hand.

They kicked the opening three goals of the term, courtesy of Fletcher, Mitchell and Graccogna to ignite the game, bringing the margin back to five-points half way though the quarter.

Bond had to respond, and they did through Burrows-Cheng and Howell in the last two minutes of the quarter to put the lead back out to 17.

For the SUNS to get back into this one, they needed an early one in the fourth to kick start it all.

Bond had other ideas though. Goals to Hall and the coach, Sam Wish-Wilson put the game to bed, and handed the Bull Sharks another cup.



QWAFA Grand Final


Zillmere Eagles WFC 3.3, 4.5, 7.10, 7.10  (52)
Moreton Bay WFC 1.0, 2.1, 3.1, 6.6  (42)


Two weeks ago, Zillmere were beaten by 45-points at the hands of Moreton Bay. On Saturday, they turned that result right around to claim the 2015 QWAFA Premiership.

The Eagles did their best work before three quarter time, setting up the win early.

The start was always going to be critical in this one, so Kiana Riley took things into her own hands.

She kicked three clutch first quarter goals off her own boot to give the Eagles a 15-point quarter time lead.

The second quarter was hard to split. The Lions kicked the first of the quarter, but Riley bobbed up again with one late in the piece to maintain the Eagles lead.

The start of the third was when Zillmere blew this contest wide open.

They controlled the football, and put it on the scoreboard, stringing together three in a row early to hit a game high 37-point advantage.

Stephanie’s late one for Moreton Bay kept the contest alive, but it was a long way back.

Moreton Bay threw everything they had at the Eagles in the last quarter, holding them scoreless while kicking three themselves, but it wasn’t enough.

Zillmere were eventual 10-point winners, claiming the QWAFA crown.

By Andrew Wiles@andrewjwiles

Our Supporters