Community Finals Whip Around

QFA North Grand Final


Mayne 4.3, 7.6, 10.13, 13.20  (98)
Maroochydore 2.1, 2.3, 6.5, 12.7  (79)

Back-to-back. Has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?
Mayne survived a last quarter Maroochydore surge on Saturday to become the 2015 QFA North Premiers of 2015.
For three quarters, the Tigers were clearly on top.
They kicked four of the first five goals of the game, were getting first use in the middle, and were opening up the forward 50 well.

At quarter time, Mayne were up by 15-points.
The Tigers put the foot down in the second quarter, kicking three, while holding Maroochydore goalless, to lead at the main break by 33-points.

Maroochydore found a bit of their mojo in the third. When they were taking control in the middle, they were getting it in quick, and getting out the back of the contest.
It went pretty much goal for goal until three quarter time, with the Mayne still leading by 32-points.
Maroochydore kicked the first of the last quarter, but Caleb Brown, like he had done all day, responded instantly for Mayne.
Maroochydore didn’t drop their heads though; they threw caution to the wind and took the game on at all costs.

It worked. Maroochydore had a full head of steam, and Mayne looked to be running on treadmills.

Goal, after goal, after goal was signaled for the men in green and yellow, the crowd was going ballistic, and they were within five points!
Commeth the moment, commeth the man. When Mayne needed a hero, Luke Faulkner stepped up to the plate.

He kicked two crucial goals in the last two-minutes to shut the gate on the Roos’ comeback. Ice cold.
Mayne ended up 19-point winners, and basked in the glory of both senior and reserve premierships this year.

QAFA (A) Preliminary Final

Bond University 2.3, 7.5, 11.10, 15.14  (104)
Griffith Moorooka 2.2, 3.5, 3.7, 6.8  (44)
Bond University were back to their blistering best in their preliminary final win over Griffith Moorooka on Saturday.
They produced two-quarters of breathtaking football to show everyone why they were undefeated at the end of the home and away season, booking a grand final spot against the Southeast SUNS this Saturday.
The contest was tight early, with both teams kicking two first quarter goals.
Bond put their heads down for the next 60 minutes of football.
They kicked the opening four goals of the second quarter within 15-minutes, before Pearson got the Roosters back within 19-points.

A late goal to Hawkins gave the Bull Sharks a 24-point half time lead.
They didn’t stop there though. They once again restricted the Roosters ball movement in the third, and opened them up on the rebound.

A four goal to nil term saw Bond University with a 50-point lead at the final change. Job done.
The Roosters got their hands on the footy a lot more in the last, but the margin was unassailable.
The Bull Sharks are off to the big dance with a 60-point win.

QWAFA Preliminary Final

Zillmere Eagles WFC 0.0, 1.5, 4.7, 6.9  (45)
Bond University AFC 2.6, 2.6, 3.6, 4.8  (32)

The Zillmere Eagles turned around an opening half deficit against Bond University to advance to this weekend’s QWAFA Grand Final on Saturday.

Bond definitely came out of the blocks better. Their 18-point quarter time lead could have been much greater with a bit more luck, after having eight shots on goal.
Zillmere had to respond in the second, and they did.

They held Bond scoreless, while kicking 1.5 themselves, which brought them right back into the contest at half time.
The third quarter was when the game was won.
Zillmere kicked three goals to Bond’s one to take the lead for the first time of the day.

The Eagles got their running game going, and were making the most of their opportunities forward.

At the last break, they were seven-points up.
When Georgia Byrne kicked her first of two last quarter goals, it was going to be a long way back for Bond.

The Eagles finished the better, running away with a 13-point win.

Next up, Moreton Bay this Saturday.

By Andrew Wiles – @andrewjwiles

Our Supporters