AFLQ Regional Grand Final Wrap

AFL Townsville

Hermit Park 13.8.86 defeated Thuringowa Bulldogs 8.17.65
Ricco Butler Medal – Dylan Fry, Hermit Park

They had to ride a storm out late, but Hermit Park turned it on in the first three quarters against Thuringowa.

Their 10-point quarter time lead was extended to 17 at the main break, before a seven goal to nil third quarter broke the game wide open.

The Bulldogs left nothing in the tank late, kicking six goals in the final quarter, but it wouldn’t be enough. The Tigers were 21-point winners.

Hermit Park Tigers (2)


AFL Mackay

Eastern Swans 13.8.86 defeated Mackay City Hawks 12.9.81
BOG Desmond Hayes – Mackay City Hawks

30 minutes of football is what defined this contest.

Between Kempe and Evans, they kicked five of the first six goals for the Swans to streak away to a 32-point quarter time lead.

It was always going to be a long way back for the Hawks.

They turned the next two quarters into an arm wrestle, outscoring the Swans seven goals to five, but they still trailed by 19-points at the final break.

The Hawks charged home, kicking four goals to two in the last, but they just couldn’t get close enough the strike. The Swans hung on for dear life late to win by five-points.

Eastern Swans Mackay



AFL Cairns

Cairns Saints 14.12.96 defeated South Cairns 13.9.87
Howard Kennedy Medal – Rohan Couch, Cairns Saints

The Saints made the most of an early breeze, opening up a five-goal lead at the first change. South Cairns fought back hard in the second to bring the margin back to 10-points at the main break, and it was game on.

The Saints kicked away to a 24-point advantage at the last break, but the question was whether or not that would be enough to hold South Cairns, and the breeze off.

The answer was yes. The Saints defended well in the last quarter to run out nine-point winners.


Cairns Saints


AFL Mt Isa

Tigers 18.9.117 defeated Alpurrurulan 8.7.55
Paul White Medal – Brodie Deverell, Tigers

The first half was the difference for the Tigers. They kicked five goals to one in the first quarter, followed by a four goal to one-second quarter to set up a 42-point half time advantage.

That proved to be an unassailable lead, as Alpurrurulan threw everything they had at them in the third, but couldn’t get close enough.

The Tigers run out comfortable 63-point winners to hold up the AFL Mt Isa Premiership Cup.



AFL Capricornia

Yepoon 22.15.147 defeated B.I.T.S. 7.5.47
BOG Jake King, Yepoon


Yepoon dominated this one from the opening bounce, extending their lead at every break before running out 100-point winners.


A 53-point half time lead, and a 76-point three quarter time lead meant that the Swans could bask in premiership glory in the final 30 minutes of the game. They weren’t going to be headed.


Chapman and King kicked 14 between them for Yepoon, while Clarke battled hard all day for B.I.T.S, bagging four.

Yepoon Swans



AFL Wide Bay

Across the Waves 17.9.111 defeated Brothers Bulldogs 14.13.97
Staunton/Taylor Medal – Jia Trotter, Across the Waves


Accuracy was the only difference in this tight tussle for premiership supremacy.


The scoring shots read 26 to 27, but unfortunately for the Bullldogs, Across the Waves capitalised the better in front of the stick.

Neither team could really be separated in the first half, with just five-points in it at the long break, but the third quarter proved to be the difference.


Across the Waves kicked 4.4 to Brothers 2.3 to put a nice little buffer between the two.

Despite a tight last quarter, Across the Waves had done enough to clinch the premiership by 14-points.




AFL Darling Downs

Coolaroo 14.14.104 defeated Goondiwindi 8.12.60
Ellen McConochie Medal, Michael Langton, Coolaroo


Coolaroo knocked this one out of the park in the first quarter. They controlled the stoppages, and always look dangerous when inside fifty, kicking five goals to zip in the opening 25 minutes.


Goondawinidi started to claw their way back in to the contest in the second, but it was still Coolaroo who were on top.

At half time, their lead was 45-points, and alarm bells were ringing.


Goondiwindi evened up the scoring in the second half, but couldn’t make any headway.


In the end, Coolaroo were 45-point winners, claiming their second premiership in three years.


By Andrew Wiles@andrewjwiles

Our Supporters