By AFLQ Media
Good Friday football headlines a host of new and returning marquee games next season after the 2019 Queensland Australian Football League fixture was released today.
In a competition first, Wilston Grange will host the Western Magpies on April 19 at Bendigo Bank Oval for premiership points on Good Friday.
Palm Beach Currumbin will unveil their Premiership Flag in Round 1, when they host Broadbeach at Salk Oval in a Grand Final rematch.
The continued success of the ANZAC Day eve showdown between Wilston Grange and Sandgate will again feature in the 2019, with a Wednesday night clash in Round 4.
Next season will also see more games played outside of the traditional 2:00pm Saturday time-slot, with the inclusion of two Saturday night games and three Saturday twilight games.
Labrador will host Surfers Paradise in Round 11 at Cooke-Murphy Oval in what will be the competition’s first Saturday night match on the Gold Coast since the QAFL reformation in 2014.
The fixture also includes five Sunday afternoon matches including the Round 18 Legacy match between Morningside and Wilston Grange.
A QAFL-NEAFL double-header in Round 10 is a fixture highlight, when Brisbane rivals Morningside and Mt Gravatt face off at Jack Esplen Oval. This clash will immediately, follow an interstate showdown between Redland and the GIANTS.
AFL Queensland State Football Operations Manager, Barry Gibson, said the fixture aims to build on a competitive 2018 season.
”2018 was the closest QAFL season in terms of winning margins since the competition’s reformation in 2014, which lends itself to scheduling more marquee match ups in time-slots outside the traditional Saturday at 2pm.”
“The QAFL clubs have been extremely proactive in identifying time-slots that maximise attendance, which in turn will drive increased interest in the competition,” Gibson added.
Round 1 will commence on April 6 with all four games scheduled at 2:00pm on Saturday afternoon.
All clubs will have three byes throughout the home and away season.
Finals will once again comprise of a top five structure with the Grand Final set for September 14.
2019 QAFL Fixture Highlights
- Round 1 – Palm Beach Currumbin v Broadbeach Grand Final Rematch
- Round 3 – Wilston Grange v Western Magpies Good Friday
- Round 4 – Wilston Grange v Sandgate ANZAC Day eve clash
- Round 4 – Surfers Paradise v Labrador ANZAC Round
- Round 8 – Mt Gravatt V Sandgate Sir Doug Nicholls Round
- Round 8 Western Magpies v Morningside Sir Doug Nicholls Round
- Representative Football – QAFL v Adelaide Football league
- Round 10 – Morningside v Mt Gravatt Pink Panther Round aligned with Redland v GIANTS NEAFL clash
- Round 11 – Labrador v Surfers Paradise Saturday night
- Round 18 – Morningside v Wilston Grange Legacy Game
- Six Sunday Games
- Two Saturday night games
- Three Saturday twilight games
DOWNLOAD the full fixture below2019 QAFL Fixture