As the dust settles on the holiday period, our brains start switching to things like footy.
Whether you’re a fan, player, coach or volunteer, here are 15 signs that you are ready for the season to arrive.
- You’ve re-watched the Grand Final 68 times (and still think Tom Boyd was stiff to miss out on the Norm Smith Medal).
- The person who walks their dogs around the local oval while you’re having set shots knows you by name.
- The hair on your previously shaved ankles has now fully grown back, allowing you to look normal in shorts and thongs.
- You’ve started a rumor on the footy forum to get people talking.
- You’ve said, “this is our year, I know it,” at least 15 times since January 1.
- You’ve been into your local sports store every Saturday to check if they have the 2017 range of boots yet.
- The round 1 side is picked (as long as Robbo shows up to train at least twice before the game).
- You proudly announce ‘winter is coming’ to anyone who mentions the weather seeing as the AFLW season kicks off in just three weeks.
- The oranges are cut, on the tray in the fridge, and the lollie box is full.
- You’ve already cancelled on that fun run in May because you’ll pull up too sore from the game the day before.
- You’ve dusted off your club shirt and scarf. Both and hanging proudly on your door ready to go.
- You’re ‘carb loading’.
- You’ve put a red line through all possible holidays in September; you can’t be missing finals.
- Every club function is already marked in the calendar.
- Your footy bag is already packed, mouth guard, Gatorade (yellow of course) and all.
By Andrew Wiles