The Brisbane Lions have asked for patience from fans with a huge crowd expected to attend Saturday’s historic first home game for the undefeated Women’s Team at South Pine Sports Complex.
The venue is an elite community football facility, but with the large number of spectators expected on Saturday on the back of the unprecedented popularity of the Women’s Team, supporters should be prepared for standing room only.
While inquiries were made with the Gabba last week by the Lions and AFL, preparations for the Adele concert and issues around the hardness of the ground meant that was not an option.
The Women’s Team trained at the Brendale ground last night with the playing surface in immaculate condition, while a host of preparations are taking place around the ground to ensure spectators as much comfort and facilities as possible.
The Club has ensured a Reserved Area for Foundation Women’s Members, with wristbands available for collection from the Membership Marquee on the back oval.
A big screen has been built, so spectators can catch all of the action from any viewpoint around the ground.
Gates open from midday, with the Hyundai Help For Kids Brisbane Lions Female Academy playing the Gold Coast SUNS Female Academy teams at 1pm.
There will also be NAB AFL Auskick at half-time, a variety of food outlets and drinks, inflatable waterslide, entertainment and more.
Other important information for the day includes:
- With weather forecast for sun and hot temperatures, fans are urged to bring sunscreen and a hat. A free chilled water filling station will be available – bring a bottle!
- There is car parking available onsite, but where possible we urge fans to carpool or make sure your car is full.
- Uber have provided a $20 discount code for members and fans who are NEW USERS and will have a dedicated zone at the venue for pick up and drop off. The code is LIONSAFLW.
- The team will sign autographs post-match on-field, with FREE banners on offer to collect signatures.
- There are plenty of toilet facilities at the venue.
- Please avoid bringing any large shade structures as they will not be permitted as they block viewing for spectator.
- No glass or alcohol is permitted to be brought into the venue – there is a bar and licensed area onsite.
Also, if fans miss out on a spot on the sideline, they are being urged to head over to nearby Eatons Hill Hotel to catch all of the action on the big screen in the outdoor function space.