NATIONAL AFL UMPIRE PATHWAY
The AFL umpiring pathway provides a clear and defined pathway for umpires to progress through to the appropriate level of football in respect to their umpiring ability.
Whether you have aspirations to reach the AFL or you just want to progress from a junior competition to a senior competition, there is a structured pathway in place to help you achieve your goal.
Click here to download a copy of the AFL umpiring pathway.
The AFL also conduct U16 and U18 National Championships for which Queensland Umpires are nominated for officiating roles. These championships are pathway milestones that any umpire seeking a career at the AFL should participate in. Selection of QLD umpires to these events is managed by AFLQ State Umpire Manager. If you would like to know more about the pathway to AFL Football you should contact AFLQ State Umpire Manager.
QLD REPRESENTATIVE FOOTBALL UMPIRE PROGRAM
Representative football has a significant influence for the recruitment, development and retention of talented umpires throughout Queensland. The AFLQ Umpire Representative Program includes details of all talent events and provides the opportunity for each region to have umpires participate in the annual program.
The objective of the program is to:
- Share of opportunities between the regions
- Increase the involvement of country umpires in state football events
- Increase the involvement of metropolitan umpires in country football events
ANNUAL NOMINATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
- Regional Umpiring Managers (RUM) are required to complete the yearly handbook by February each year. Nominating umpires in their region relative to their perceived level of development.
- AFL Queensland will formulate pools of umpires nominated for each championship.
- For State U12/15 school championship events, pools of umpires nominated will be sent to the QLD Education Department controlling body for selection and coordination.
- A selection panel will be established to oversee umpire selection for each event. The 2011 panel will include a Country Representative and AFLQ staff. The RUM in the location of the championship will be the third member of each panel.
- AFL Queensland will contact RUMís one month prior to each event to discuss umpires form to date relative to the selection criteria.
- Umpires will be ranked within the pools and the panel will make championship selections.
- AFL Queensland will email successful umpires and RUMís notification of selection and championship information.
- AFL Queensland will liaise with the RUM hosting the championship to discuss the use of local boundary and goal umpires and to arrange billeting.
- Umpires need to have at least one of year of experience umpiring.
- Umpires may be nominated for multiple events however will only be selected for one. The exception to this involves country championships and state U12/15 championships where umpire of the championship may be selected to compete at the subsequent level.
- Regions are encouraged to nominate multiple different umpires per championship (numbers and ability levels permitting). This can be used within your region as a trialling mechanism and to encourage friendly competition between nominated umpires.
AFL QUEENSLAND SUPPORT
- For travelling inter-region, eg metropolitan to country, visa versa, country to country, field umpires can apply for a $100 transport subsidy.
- Umpires and RUMís should approach their regions (including State Government - Sport and Rec Grants, Local Councils, Sponsors etc) to request support for the remaining allocation.
- For boundary and goal umpires, only U12/ U15 championships will be subsidies/paid for in light of state school funding.
- Billeting will be available for inter-regional umpires. AFL Queensland will coordinate with the RUM and local umpiring community
- Commitment to umpiring (preseason, training and matches).
- Ambition to strive for greater heights in umpiring.
- Strong umpiring performances in their level of ability.
- Understanding and application of laws of the game
- Match Management
- Whistle, verbal and signals communication
- Side on positioning (20 - 25m from play)
- Set Kick Control
- Use of angles in positioning
- Fitness - 1.6km
Click here to download pdf of Specific Criteria and minimum levels of ability.