Queensland’s first full-time football administrator, he was QAFL secretary for 23 years from 1958-1980 and was recognized in 1982 when the League medal for the player judged best afield in the grand final was named in his honour. Originally from Pyramid Hill in central Victoria, north of Bendigo, he was a loyal Fitzroy man but moved to Brisbane in the early ‘50s due to the ill-health of his wife Win.
Was appointed secretary of the QAFL in1958 in a significant advancement for the code’s administration, and held that position until the AFL-funded appointment of Ken Murphy as QAFL general manager in 1980.
Worked out of two inner-city offices before the League moved to Bowen Street, Spring Hill, where he was based until his retirement. Worked tirelessly to keep football at Perry Park, where it had been based through the 1950s, but was beaten for the ground by rival soccer officials who promised the Brisbane City Council they would build a 28,000-seat stadium at the venue. Thereafter he re-focused his energies to maximize the appeal of the second-choice Gabba and worked hard with club officials to expand the overall standing of the competition.