AFL Queensland is pleased to announce that eight clubs have been granted Queensland Women’s Football Association (QWFA) Division 2 licenses for season 2018, with the possibility of several more to be added early in the new year.
Griffith Moorooka, Mt Gravatt, Morningside, Alexandra Hills, Surfers Paradise, Robina, Ipswich Eagles and Byron Bay will all enter women’s teams for the first time.
“The increase in competition numbers is a testament to the rapid growth of the female football landscape, with recently release AFL participation figures showing females now account for 39.9 per cent of all Queensland and Northern Rivers participants,” said Competition & Club Development Manager – QWAFL & QWFA, Fiona Jones.
The QWFA Division 1 will also expand in 2018, with the addition of Broadbeach and Kedron, who have both been elevated from Division 2.
“With so many new teams coming on board in the past two seasons, QWFA Division 2 will be split into north and south competitions, which will limit travel time for teams,” said Jones.
All senior women’s fixtures will commence after Easter, with the season start dates to be confirmed early in 2018.
Jones said the growth also provided opportunities for those wanting to be involved off-field.
“Clubs aren’t just about the player – they also need coaches, umpires, team managers and match officials. This is the perfect time for people to contact their local club to find out how they can get involved,” she said.
2018 South East Queensland female competitions structure.
- QWAFL – 14 games
- QWFA Division 1 – 14 games
- QWFA Division 2 North – 12 games
- QWFA Division 2 South -12 games
- QWFA Northern Rivers – TBC
For more information on the new women’s teams, follow the links below.
- Griffith Moorooka –https://www.facebook.com/GriffithMoorookaAFC/
- Mt Gravatt – https://www.mtgafc.com/
- Morningside – http://www.morningsidepanthers.com.au/
- Alexandra Hills – https://www.facebook.com/alexhillsafc/
- Surfers Paradise – http://www.surfersparadiseafc.com.au/
- Robina – http://www.robinaroos.com.au/
- Byron Bay – https://www.byronbayafl.com.au/
- Ipswich Eagles https://www.facebook.com/IpswichEaglesAFL/
Links to all existing clubs can be found here:http://www.aflq.com.au/seq-competitions/