AFL Queensland today released the 2018 Queensland Australian Football League (QAFL) fixture, which kicks off on April 21 with four matches across four days.
Round 1 will see two games on Saturday, one on Sunday, and the traditional ANZAC eve Sandgate vs. Wilston Grange clash on Tuesday night.
The Palm Beach vs. Labrador Grand Final rematch is scheduled for round 2 at Salk Oval, with the Lions set to unfurl the 2017 premiership flag in their first match of the year after a Round 1 bye.
The 19-round home-and-away season will see all teams will play each other twice, with three byes.
In an exciting change, the season features two Saturday night matches – the first since 2014 -and five Sunday games.
The Grand Final has been locked in for Leyshon Park, Yeronga, and will take place on either Saturday 22 or Sunday 23 of September.
QAFL 2018 Highlights
- Round 1 (April 22) – annual Surfers Paradise v Labrador ANZAC match (Sunday)
- Round 1 (April 24, 7:00pm) – Sandgate v Wilston Grange ANZAC eve clash (Tuesday night)
- 2 x Saturday night matches. Round 6 (May 26) Sandgate v Western Magpies and Round 14 (July 21) Surfers Paradise v Broadbeach
- Round 2 (April 28) – Grand Final rematch, premiership flag unveiling. Palm Beach Currumbin v Labrador
- Round 7 (June 2) – Mt Gravatt v Sandgate – Indigenous Round showcase match and the first time the two new coaches in the competition go head to head (Daniel Webster and Jarad Marsh)
- 5 x Sunday matches. Rounds 1, 2, 3, 12, 17
- Round 3 (May 5/6). Umpire Appreciation Round
- Round 18. Four 2017 finalists’ face off against each other with finals places potentially on the line (PBC v Mt Gravatt, Broadbeach v Labrador)